Tuesday, 11 October 2011

9.30 curfew

Last week I have moved to a new place, a university accommodation for visiting staff and students. The new place is quite nice, with ample space indoors and outdoors, away from the crowds and close to the campus. Before I moved in I warned them about my car, and they assured me I would have no problems.

Well, once I moved I was revealed of one small secret that could be a problem. The parking area of the building I live in is only open between 6.30-21.30, and there is no way to break this rule. When I asked why this rule exists, the common excuse in every traffic related decision surfaced: safety. When I argued that the university campus is open 24hrs, and whether that means the university main campus is unsafe, a dead-lock occurred and the topic was left there.

Seeing that long discussions with the staff that work at the building made no difference, I took the topic higher up, to the bureaucrats at the main campus. A week later I was given a key to the entrance of the parking area.

1 comment: