Thursday, 19 July 2012

A Japanese lady's prerequisites for a potential partner

I want to marry a gaijin says the pretty woman with a 2 year-old daughter. I am quick to reach a conclusion by following my flawless logic:
She has a strong character so she must be looking for a partnership on equal grounds.
She has a child so she is looking for someone to provide more than just money to her child.
She is keen to follow her career and will not stay home to be the typical Japanese housewife.
The one complaint she had about her ex-husband was that he never wanted to spend time with her, he just preferred sleeping when he is at home.

While all this is true, it turns out they are not the main reasons in her search for a gaijin.  She talks about how much she loves London. She wants to go there and continue her career in this magical city. So it all boils down to one ultimate reason: her desire to live in London. Thus the search is very specific: the man must be British, and willing to relocate to London. Why British and not any other person who can move to London? I did not ask, and I do not want to.


The romantic relationships in Japan can only be described as bizarre. The common pattern seems to be:
-Woman finds a man with a stable job.
-They get married.
-Woman quits her job.
-The couple have kids.
-Woman is now "a family member", which means she is like a sister or perhaps a mother to the man.
-Romance and Sex ends.
-The couple look outside to satisfy their romantic and sexual desires (soaplands, health delivery, sex-volunteers, boyfriends, girlfriends...).
-Man retires from work.
-Woman sues the man for hiding his second salary from her, and spending all of it on his girlfriends.
-The court orders the man to pay half of all the money he spent secretly from the woman.
-They live happily ever after.

I have been reading a book about the "sex, marriage, and the modern Japanese woman", so I am heavily influenced by this. It's an amazing book detailing real-life cases of romantic relationships in Japan. The whole book is full of mind-blowing information, and to a non-Japanese feels like a study on extreme-cases, but the author disagrees. From what I have witnessed so far the case-studies provided in the book are rather average in Japan, and that what makes it so mind-blowing.

Here is the link to the preface of the book. The preface alone is a great read.

http://goodbyemadamebutterfly.com/preface/

No comments:

Post a Comment