My yoda-esque Japanese supervisor asked me to attend a conference he has co-organized in Korea. Due to the limited number of days my sponsor allows me to be outside of Japan, this meant that I could not attend GECCO, one of the best conferences in EC. Although I had no intention to do this, my other supervisor (gaijin supervisor) said there is no option. So I cancelled the trip to GECCO and so that I can attend a conference that is remotely related to what I am doing. I say remotely because my presentation in the control of swarm robots for exploration of unknown environments was put in "Green& Environment Technologies" session. Need I say more?
IEEE we must pay. 30% profit, expect they. Know, do you not? Hmm? Hmm?
And of course the conference is "peer reviewed", but I did not get any comments on my paper (I know its an amazing piece of work but still there was bound to be something to comment on:P). This IEEE sponsored conference is giving me a headache (yet again!); how on earth can I stand up in front of 3 people (presumably everybody presenting will show up) and talk for 20 minutes about something they have no interest on?
You realise the other 3 won't turn up and you'll be talking to yourself? There's some really awesome IEEE sponsored conferences around. One of them offers bribes for people who set up a special session and attract papers (which are then allowed to call themselves "Invited Papers").
ReplyDeleteAnyway, apparently Philadelphia wasn't very nice, and I assume the papers were all boring and the conference banquet was offensive to the palate - so you're not really missing out ;)
It would be nice if nobody turned up, so I could just head out and explore the city. I am curious about Korea; it's bound to be more interesting than Philadelphia, so that's a plus! Though I suspect I would be expected to be part of the group from our department, otherwise I may disturb harmony.
ReplyDelete